Water Quality Permit & Application Specialist (Office Specialist 2)
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are welcomed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualifications listed below. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) currently has a full-time opportunity for
Water Quality Permit & Application Specialist (Office Specialist 2) in Portland, Oregon.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. The Water Quality Division has a critical role in achieving the Department’s mission by developing policy, implementation tools, and implementation priorities for improving and protecting the quality of water in Oregon’s waterways. The Water Quality Division works cooperatively with the Department’s three regional offices and the Laboratory to deliver programs and services that protect and enhance the quality of the waters of the state to protect public health and the environment. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
You will provide clerical, administrative support and coordination to management and technical staff in the Water Quality Division. You will provide administrative assistance to the various WQ division programs in order to ensure efficient and successful completion of projects. You will also provide direct user support to permittees on WQ permit invoicing and permit administration.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon's environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: 2 years of general clerical experience, 1 year of which included typing, word processing, or other experience generating documents.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
· Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and customer service skills; ability to communicate with diverse groups, both the public and DEQ staff.
· High aptitude for learning new things and an ability to pay attention to detail; ability to work on tight deadlines in environments with shifting priorities and demands.
· Experience with records management, internal and external records requests, and electronic/hard copy records systems.
· Experience explaining rules and procedures, as well as experience processing requests for information.
· Experience accurately entering data and maintaining databases; experience running reports from databases and performing data analysis.
Work is conducted primarily in a fast-paced office setting with extensive daily use of a computer. Occasional statewide travel required to attend meetings, trainings, conferences, and public hearings. Meetings and public hearings are often held in the evenings requiring irregular work hours. Some travel may include overnight stays. Occasional lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
· External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
· Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
· Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
· Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
· Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
· This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
· Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
· Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Jack Duncan, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 229-5021. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.