1102 - Program Specialist (Trail Maintenance/Construction and Volunteer Coordination Specialist)
This part-time position, with rotating days and weekend shifts, is in the Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation Department.
Salary Grade: 41
Pima County is seeking a motivated and organized professional to perform a variety of duties to support the Trails Program within Pima County’s Natural Resources, Parks & Recreation Department. The Pima County Trails Program manages approximately 30 trailheads and 200 miles of shared-use, non-motorized trails in Pima County open-space parks. The position will be responsible for duties related to trail design and construction, maintenance of trail and trailhead infrastructure, collection of trail use data and volunteer coordination. A significant component to this position will be field work, which may require working long days and strenuous activity in remote locations under a variety of weather conditions. Some details of the position will include:
- Sustainable trail design and construction
- Trail maintenance, assessments, and documenting trail conditions
- Inspections and maintenance of trailheads and trail related infrastructure
- Recruitment, training and coordination of volunteers
- Installation and maintenance of signs at trails and trailheads
- Collecting and reporting data on public use of trail related amenities
- Organizing and maintaining tools, supplies and equipment
- Mapping of trail infrastructure utilizing Geographic Information Systems
- Use of mobile data collection tools (e.g. Global Positioning Systems)
- Ensuring program information provided to the public is updated and accurate
- Communicating with the public, both orally and in writing
- Coordinating with department staff to accomplish goals
- Natural area restoration
Please note: For new hires (and promoted employees hired) the applicant must have a full set of COVID-19 vaccines, by the effective date of hire. If you are unable to become fully vaccinated due to a medical disability or religious observance/practice, you must request an accommodation – accommodation forms are located on-line.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in management, public or business administration or a field closely related to the program area, as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment. (Relevant experience and/or education from an accredited college or university may be substituted.)
(2) Three years with Pima County in a paraprofessional or professional administrative classification.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Minimum two (2) years experience working on of trails, ideally with local parks and recreation agencies.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience working on trail projects with volunteers and youth groups (e.g. AmeriCorps).
- Minimum one (1) year of experience with sustainable trail design and construction techniques in a desert environment.
- Minimum one (1) year of leading a trail construction crew.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in planning trail systems for parks and open space areas.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Service's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position. Please note: For new hires (and promoted employees hired) the applicant must have a full set of COVID-19 vaccines, by the effective date of hire. If you are unable to become fully vaccinated due to a medical disability or religious observance/practice, you must request an accommodation – accommodation forms are located on-line.