Duties include but are not limited to the following:
Duties are performed with a higher level of supervision in a developmental capacity designed to prepare for the next grade level. As the employee progresses, the assignments will become more difficult and complex.
- Assists in planning and conducting portions or limited inspections or compliance reviews (or independently conducts inspections of business establishments and worksites whose operations are generally characterized by the presence of moderately stable, low-risk processes or some higher hazards or unsafe working conditions or technically difficult operations which are covered by specific written guidelines) in establishments and worksites.
- Compiles and prepares a variety of recurring reports as directed by the specialist's supervisor.
- Assists agency attorneys in the preparation of evidence supporting the agency's findings of safety and occupational health violations where the employer contests the inspection results.
- Prepares final report or assigned portion of report, showing apparent violations, and recommends penalties and abatement dates.
- Recommends strategies and techniques for resolving unsafe or hazardous conditions.
- Studies records and files covering mishaps, injuries, and equipment maintenance data.
- Reviews safety activities for evidence of compliance with prescribed safety requirements.
- Communicates with various parties at inspected worksites.
- Assists in investigating mishaps resulting in fatalities or injuries and serious incidents.