Assistant Director, Financial Services Employer Relations & Development (Immediate Hire!)
About the Department
Career Advancement serves a student population of approximately 7,000 arts and sciences undergraduate students, in addition to alumni who have graduated within the last five years. Career Advancement plays a vital role in ensuring our students’ success after graduation. Career Advancement offers innovative and comprehensive career development services with a focus on pre-professional preparation, experiential education, and opportunities. Through career advising, programs, and comprehensive resources, Career Advancement supports undergraduate students and alumni as they develop the skills necessary to manage their career development, while working with alumni and employers to provide students with meaningful opportunities. For more information, please visit the Career Advancement website at careeradvancement.uchicago.edu.
UChicago Career Advancement’s Careers In Programs build on the world-class UChicago liberal arts foundation to give students a competitive edge in their professional development. These industry-specific programs are open to all undergraduates to support their interests in a wide variety of careers, and a number of these programs also have selective tracks and core components focused on empowering students historically underrepresented in their field.
The Assistant Director will utilize previous experience and industry expertise to manage external partnerships with employers in the financial services industry, inform programming that prepares students for successful careers, and respond to increasing student demand for finance jobs by creating incremental opportunities. The Assistant Director will liaise closely with the Career Advancement’s suite of pre-professional programs and general advising teams to promote opportunities, education and inform on recruiting trends, and offer insight into employer demand for skills and talent.
This team member’s primary focus will be to establish and enhance employer relationships to connect UChicago talent with leading organizations for internships, post-graduation jobs, and experiential education opportunities. The Assistant Director role contributes to both the growth of full-time outcomes and the University’s flagship Jeff Metcalf Internship Program that places students into over 4,000 paid substantive opportunities in the academic year. Cultivation of employer partnerships also includes active engagement with alumni and parents to support the development of new professional opportunities in priority geographic regions. The Assistant Director will collaborate with student organizations, campus and external partners to fulfill University’s commitment to student success during and beyond College. This team member will provide excellent customer service to employers, supporting virtual and on-campus recruiting, and contribute to employer’s long-term engagement. They will collaborate with others to support the launch and execution of special projects and initiatives, experiential education programs, industry and flagship events. The Assistant Director will be responsible for the successful placement of a small student cohort.Responsibilities
- Builds a strong foundation of employer partners in finance and business, fosters competitive opportunities to meet a high student demand for this industry, and drives student placement.
- Serves as a thought partner to employers in developing a successful recruitment strategy, and offers best-in-class customer service, responding to employer requests quickly and with a creative, problem-solving mentality.
- Develops knowledge of recruiting and industry trends, assesses industry skill set requirements, informs Careers in Business student programming to ensure student competitiveness.
- Implements strategic employer development, building new relationships based on student demand, market trends, and priority regions with high student enrollment, including outreach to new employers.
- Manages employer information sessions and coffee chats, company presentations, interview schedules, and other campus engagement activities. Collaborates with colleagues to increase employer participation and contribute to corporate engagement and sponsorship.
- Represents Career Advancement in meetings, supports regional career councils, and University’s larger stewardship of alumni and parents.
- Contributes to strategies and tracking of student data, quantifying stakeholder engagement, and reporting on student outcomes.
- Prepares memos, briefings, and reports.
- Uses Excel to run and create formula functions, pivot tables, charts and graphs, sorting and filtering data, and V-lookup functions.
- Enters employer engagement and student information in systems, performs regular data audits and analysis, builds data dashboards, and maintains data integrity.
- Supports planning and coordinating of Career Advancement’s industry programs, such as Night on Wall Street, and flagship events such as Student-Employer Forum and Diversity + Inclusion Summit, summer kickoff events and series of alumni career reunion events.
- Supports experiential education opportunities for students including treks, job shadowing, case competitions, and industry programming provided by the UChicago Careers in pre-professional programs that enhance employer branding and affinity on campus.
- Performs job board reviews, approvals of employers and job postings, and completes prompt employer follow-up.
- Advises small cohort of students to support their career exploration and placement.
- Reviews student resumes and cover letters and coordinates interview-related programming in both individual and group settings.
- Conducts mock interviews, reviews resumes and cover letters, and coordinates other interview related programming in both individual and group settings.
- Develops original content for career related publications and assists with the editing and distribution of Career Services communications materials.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience in a client-facing role and in building partnerships.
- Interest in career services, employer relations, and/or recruiting.
- Expertise in project management, customer relations, program administration, etc.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel (including creating functions, charts, etc.), and PowerPoint.
- Learn new software and computer systems.
- Skilled at utilizing Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and other digital platform for meetings and events.
- Exemplary organization skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrated success in maintaining collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
- High degree of professionalism when interacting with internal and external constituents.
- Prioritize work and meet deadlines and successfully navigate a fast-paced environment.
- Deep commitment to customer service, ability to balance different work streams, and work successfully and successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Tailor communication to a variety of stakeholders: students, senior management, faculty, parents, and alumni.
- Develop creative solutions and maintain and outcomes-driven and action-oriented attitude.
- Strong project management skills with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Problem solving and reasoning, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Handle sensitive matters with tact and discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Based on public health conditions and guidelines, work evening hours and weekends on an occasional basis for in-person employer events.
- Travel as needed.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter/Statement of Interest (required)
- Professional References Contact Information (3)(required)