Product Design Summer Intern
One Medical is a primary care platform challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to radically transform healthcare, which means tackling the frustrations of everyone involved — from patients and providers to employers and health networks.
Across the country, our members enjoy seamless access to comprehensive care at more than 90 locations across thirteen cities (and counting!) as well as 24/7 access to virtual care powered by intelligent uses of technology. In addition to a direct-to-consumer membership model, we work with more than 7,000 companies to provide One Medical health benefits to their employees.
On January 31, 2020 we marked a milestone with our public listing on Nasdaq, but our work is far from over. As we continue to grow and broaden our impact, we’re building a diverse, driven and empathetic team, while working hard to cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive.
The OpportunityDuring the 10 week internship as a Product Design Intern, you’ll be a contributing member of our product design team. You’ll work on software to improve the health of our members, and streamline how care is delivered by our clinical staff.
Product teams at One Medical are comprised of designers, engineers, and product managers, all with one shared goal: to create high-quality, human-centered, and impactful experiences for the people who use our products. Depending on your team, you may be working on features that are used by our members (patients), used by our providers (doctors, nurses, and others who deliver care), or an experience that spans across both!
During your internship, you will have regular check-ins with both your design manager and a design mentor to make sure you're getting the support and experience you need to grow as a designer.
- Types of projects you could work on:Increasing our providers’ ability to be efficient and productive before, during, and in-between visits with things like contextual suggestions, auto reporting labs and health screenings (Web app)
- Determining how providers review members demographics on their ‘chart’ including profile photos, birth sex, sexual orientation and gender Identity, and emergency contact information (Web app)
- Allowing for patients to get to know providers while selecting one, or matching them with a new one if their previous provider leaves (iOS, Android, Web)
- Helping members manage accounts if they care for other family members like kids, partners, and parents (iOS, Android, Web)
- What you’ll be doing:Creating low and high-fidelity designs on a real product project that will deliver value to our members or providers
- Creating a research plan and conducting research that fits your projects needs
- Collaborating with others — including designers, developers and product managers
- Participating and contributing to the culture of our design team
- Leveraging and adding to our design system in Figma
- We’re looking for:A portfolio or project that highlights your design process (mandatory)
- Previous product design internship experience and/or experience working as a designer on product teams
- Experience using Figma, Sketch, XD, or similar design tools
- A person who is humble, focused on craft and quality, and have a positive get it done attitude
- A person who has a passion for improving healthcare in order to make a difference in the world
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in design, HCI or related field with at least one semester/quarter remaining after internship
- Graduating between December 2022 and Summer 2023
This is an internship based in San Francisco (but operating virtually until it is safe to be back in our offices).
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
Proof of COVID 19 vaccination is required for employees and contractors who interact with patients, access a shared office space or engage with other team members, except where a medical or religious accommodation applies.