Electrical/PCB Design Drafter Senior
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Accelerator Division Electrical / Electronic Support Department is seeking a Printed Curcuit Board Layout Designer with experience to work on a broad range of projects. The department crafts, installs, operates, and maintains power systems used to energize particle accelerator and beam transport systems for high energy physics experiments. We design custom electronics including high speed analog and digital circuits, FPGA controls and high voltage and high current switch mode supplies. These designs require multilayer PCB boards in support of power supplies that generate up to 100kV pulsed or 1kV DC and output currents of 250kA pulsed or 10kA DC.
- Design multilayer and split-plane PCBs using Altium Designer
- Maintain and update related files and databases; electronically stores archives of drawings.
- Translate and update existing designs from OrCAD into Altium.
- Provide information to assist with procurement, fabrication, assembly, installation, and other aspects of the completed design.
- Assist in design, procurement, and inventory of parts or BOMs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by reporting supervisor.
- Abide by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
We are looking for Candidate with:
- Associate's Degree with 5 years of experience or Bachelor's Degree in Electronic Technology or related field with at least 3 years of experience.
- Experience with high-density, multi-layered boars (6 or more layers)
- Experience in PCB layout and artwork preparation.
- Good interpersonal skills for working with engineers and technicians.
- Experience with Altium Designer, Design for Test and Design for Assembly preferred.
- Knowledge with IPC 2221, IPC 2222 and IPC 2152 a plus.
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change. Testing of unvaccinated employees may be required for Fermilab site access, depending on community transmission levels.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.