Boulder County is seeking to hire a Bond Commissioner. The Bond Commissioner Unit operates 7 days a week including holidays within the Boulder County Jail to assess individuals who have been arrested in Boulder County. This assessment process allows us to assess for criminal risk, mental health and substance use needs, and stability factors. This process is used to determine who is eligible to be released, and who will need to appear before the court. For those individuals who will appear before the court, a report is produced by this unit that includes assessment results, thorough criminal history review, and bond recommendations for the judge. Bond commissioners also attend court each day (M-F, Sunday) for the bond hearings.
Bond Commissioner Unit Philosophy:
The Bond Commissioner unit values treating people with respect, regardless of their situation. We are a high performing team and value producing high quality assessments and reports for the courts. We are looking for a team member who is passionate about learning and implementing emerging best practices and can progress as the research does. We work collaboratively with our system partners to challenge the system as it continues to evolve. We are dedicated to building a positive work culture and are looking for someone who can help continue to build this culture within the team. The 3 core values of our department are connection, compassion and courage.
This is a full-time, benefited position. This is a 40 hour week, 4 day and 10 hour shift position. This unit operates 7 days a week 365 days a year. Hours may vary based on training and shift availability. This position will work out of the Boulder County Jail located at 3200 Airport Road, Boulder, Colorado. Under Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) guidelines, this position is exempt.
Boulder County requires its employees to reside in the state of Colorado as of the first day of work.
Hiring Salary Range: $51,816.00 - $63,168.00 Annually
Classification Salary Range: $51,816.00 - $74,520.00 Annually
Tentative Hiring Timeline:
- First Round Interviews: November 30th
- Second Round Interviews: December 6th
- Reference Check: December 7th
- Language Proficiency Test: December 10th
Examples of Duties
- Screen and assess all eligible individuals brought to the Boulder County Jail
- Complete a thorough review of criminal history using multiple criminal justice databases
- Interview individuals using effective interpersonal skills (collaboration, empathy, active listening)
- Complete standardized assessments using established guidelines and practices
- Determine eligibility of individuals to be released prior to seeing a judge
- Assess risk and protective factors when setting bonds
- Release low risk individuals when appropriate with least restrictive bond conditions
- Submit reports to the court making bond condition recommendations to the judge
- Assess risk and protective factors when recommending bond conditions
- Conditions recommended are the least restrictive necessary to mitigate public safety risk
- Complete CCIC certification process per Colorado Bureau of Investigation directives
- Collaborate with and assist partner agencies such as Law Enforcement, jail staff, and the courts
- Any other duties that may be assigned by Bond Commissioner Supervisor and/or Administrator that are in keeping with and supporting the mission of the unit
- May be reassigned during emergency situations
- Performs related work, as required
PLEASE NOTE: When submitting your application be sure to include all relevant education and experience, as applications are screened based on the qualifications listed in this position announcement. Applications that do not appear to meet minimum qualifications, as outlined below, will not be considered. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of completed applications.
Please be aware that your cover letter and resume will not be accessed in the initial screening process, so you must complete your application and supplemental questions with as much detail as possible. Any personally identifiable information (PII) such as name and address will be redacted from applications that meet the minimum screening requirements and are forwarded to the hiring manager. If the hiring manager selects you to advance in the hiring process, your cover letter and resume will then be accessible to the hiring team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Boulder County is looking for well qualified candidates to fill our positions. Any combination of relevant education and experience is encouraged. In this position, we are looking for a minimum of 6 years of combined education and experience within human services programming, or degrees in a social science or related field.
- Sworn-in Bond Commissioner
BACKGROUND CHECK & FINGERPRINTING:
- A job offer is contingent on passing a criminal background investigation with fingerprinting
- Experience working with at risk populations with diverse needs and individuals who may be in crisis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Professional communication style in interactions with clients, coworkers, partners and supervisors
- High level of integrity
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Boulder County is a family-friendly workplace dedicated to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and respectful environment for all employees. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.