Disaster Recovery Administrator
The Disaster Recovery Administrator's role is to ensure the access and integrity of data, data systems, and data network across the entire organization. This includes designing and implementing disaster recovery processes and business continuity procedures/plans for reestablishing servers, databases, and operating systems in the event of a disruption, both minor and catastrophic. This position plans IT disaster response and crisis management activities to help provide and coordinate disaster preparedness with respect to the organization's information technologies, helping to ensure business continuity for the prompt restoration of services.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Information Technology / MIS or a related engineering field and four years of experience implementing, troubleshooting and supporting enterprise Disaster Recovery operations. Must have experience authoring, managing and updating complex Disaster Recovery (DR) and Business Continuity of Operations (COOP) Plans for a large Enterprise IT environment and have proficiency and high levels of competency in the following disciplines:
- Four years managing an Information Technology Disaster Recovery (DR) Plan for a large company in an Enterprise Environment is required.
- Four years managing the Business Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) for a large company in an Enterprise Environment is required.
- Two years of experience acting as the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP) lead, acting as the IT liaison to the Emergency Operations Management Department for a government agency is preferred.
- Four years managing / administering system level and bare metal backups using Enterprise level data backup systems such as Cohesity, Rubric, NetBackup, Veeam, CommVault or similar products is required.
- Four years managing / administering Enterprise Patch Management Solutions like Microsoft WSUS, Microsoft SCCM, Avast or similar products is preferred.
- Two years’ experience managing / leading complex Information Technology Projects as a Team Lead, Subject Matter Lead/Expert or as a Project Manager is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in an information technology or related engineering field; and
- Four (4) years of experience of emergency and disaster recovery administration and planning practices and programs, and experience troubleshooting and supporting of enterprise level hardware/software solutions for servers, storage systems, and backup systems. Experience developing or providing input on an Information and Technology Disaster Recovery Plan or Business Continuity Plan; or
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies indicated as part of this job description.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provides the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional, and ethical behaviors that establish trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg control requires exertion of forces greater than that of sedentary work and if the worker sits most of the time, the job is considered light work.
- Requires speaking, vision, hearing, sitting, and standing.
- Requires use of office machinery such as personal computers, smart phones, tablets, calculators, and multi-function devices.
- May lift items up to 30 pounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in this position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Ensure Information Technology (IT) disaster recovery plans are appropriately maintained. This may include investigation, planning, documentation, implementation, and revision of disaster recovery processes and plans. Develops DR strategy and guidance to management for the County's IT Systems support and recovery. Communicates and trains department staff and clients on IT Disaster Recovery Plan. Gathers IT DR requirements from client departments and develop DR strategies to meet requirements. Administers policies, procedures, and ensures compliance.
- Works with IT teams to update and maintain department's COOP plan. Communicates and trains department staff on IT COOP Plan. Develops, updates, and communicates standards, policies, and procedures for department's COOP to the IIO Department's management and staff.
- Acts as the IT liaison to the Emergency Operations Management Department; oversees IT crisis management activities to help provide and coordinate disaster preparedness with respect to the organization's IT technologies. Performs Emergency Support Functions (ESF) during emergency activations concerning IT related technologies functions.
- Ensures operational readiness of the County's DR Plan and critical DR systems. This includes facilitating annual testing of the IIO Department's IT DR plan, operational activation, and critical DR IT systems and support infrastructure systems.
- Ensures operational readiness of the County's DR Datacenter and systems. This includes testing of the Datacenter's support infrastructure including generators, UPS, AC and fire suppression systems.
- Performs project management duties on DR technology projects in accordance with established project management methodology. Prepares technical reports on DR system's designs, procedures, status and DR system backlogs.
- Performs network server and computer builds installing multi-platform operating systems and applications and deploying through automation. Performs remedial troubleshooting for hardware and software systems, preventative maintenance, patching and upgrades for enterprise network servers, storage systems, backup systems, personal computers, peripherals, and end user devices.
- Performs data backup and restores of server applications, databases and user data files.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of industry project methodologies and use of documentation platforms for project and technical documentation.
- Considerable knowledge of enterprise infrastructure engineering, design and architecture of multi-platform hardware/software solutions for enterprise network servers, storage systems, backup systems, personal computers, peripherals and end user devices.
- Considerable knowledge of emergency and disaster recovery planning practices and programs for enterprise IT infrastructure systems.
- Considerable knowledge of industry standards for designing and implementing disaster recovery processes and business continuity procedures for reestablishing servers, databases, and operating systems in the event of a disruption or failure.
- Ability to assess recovery preparedness for the IT organization and of enterprise IT infrastructure systems.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects, tasks and time-to-meet delivery dates.
- Ability to develop, edit, and present technical designs, network diagrams, project plans and other technical reports.
- Ability to work effectively with others and provide superior customer service to end-users.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and orally to end-users, vendors, management, and peers.